Friday, March 20, 2009

Florida Pictures from December 2008

These may be rather randomly ordered. I'm not really good with arranging the pictures on this thing. It took me a long time just to upload them this afternoon, so I'm not going to bother with much more than that right now, except a few comments.

We tried to get a little artsy with some of our photos. It was fun.


Some weeds up by the dunes that John photographed at an interesting angle.


Sandpipers are amusing little birds -- interesting how they all turn at once the same direction, just like a school of fish.


Just some driftwood, but I thought it looked kinda pretty in the foam and lighting.

These first pictures I think are from the first day we were there -- it was kinda cool. Well, for FL in December -- 50's I think, but there was a breeze on the coast. Yet at home in MO we would have considered it a heat wave. Amazing how quickly perspective changes.

On previous trips, Tirzah was kinda fussy much of the time at the beach (we're not sure exactly what it was she didn't like about it), but she'd grown up a bit and decided it was pretty fun this time.

The older ones were looking for shells and other objects of interest, and drawing lines in the sand w/sticks.







Tirzah was busy investigating the sand.








The pelicans kept their distance but flew by quickly or else sat on the waves a little ways out a few times. This was the best shot I got of them.



I think most of the rest of these are from a later day, which was warmer if not sunnier. There was a lot of fog coming off the Gulf while we were there, which provided some interesting effects in some of the pictures.


I love her expression here -- so cute!


Peter overcame his fear of the waves this time. I was happy for him. He had some help and encouragement from Bethany, who absolutely loves the water. It was a bit cold for my taste, so I just watched them this time.














This sand is fascinating stuff.


Here you can see Bethany engrossed in play and Peter performing one of his experiments. I think he may have been seeing if the waves would take away these sand slippers he made for himself. Also perhaps trying to make himself feel better about being close to them -- this was before he felt confident enough to get in a bit. Zion agreed with me about it being cold, I think. Otherwise she would have been in the water w/Bethany, most likely.


Check out this sand, Dad. It's great stuff!


Aww.



This is probably my very favorite picture from this whole trip. Isn't she adorable?


This just made me laugh. Reminded me of the Karate Kid, but she's not seen that so I'm not really sure what she was thinking.













Zion was investigating the sand some, too.


Hey, I've even got sand in my shoes!




Feeding the gulls.






Rare photo of Peter looking in the general direction of the camera.


Back to the waves! She loves it, cold or not!


We enjoy the gulls. What funny creatures they are.



We really enjoy the ocean (or Gulf, technically, in this case). I've loved it ever since I was young -- maybe partly because I live about as far from it as anybody possibly can! But I don't know that I'd ever get tired of it, personally. I think it's one of God's most awe-inspiring creations, for one thing. There are lots of interesting scriptures about the sea. I'll just leave you with this one. I think the passage it's from is something our nation would profit from reading, but I like the imagery of the verse by itself, too:

"'Do you not fear Me?' says the LORD. 'Will you not tremble at My presence, Who have placed the sand as the bound of the sea, by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass beyond it? And though its waves toss to and fro, yet they cannot prevail; though they roar, yet they cannot pass over it.'" Jeremiah 5:22

No comments:

Post a Comment